Home Care is paid for in the following three ways in England:

  • Local authority funded care
  • Self-funding: the person requiring care (or their family/representative) pays the costs for their care directly to a care provider
  • NHS funded care: in some circumstances, the person requiring care may be part or wholly funded

Local authority funded care

You will need to contact your local authority so that they can carry out a needs assessment to assess your eligibility for care. If you are assessed as being eligible, the next step is for a financial assessment to be carried out to calculate how much you will need to contribute to your care costs.  There are thresholds for assets and savings, which may mean you will need to pay for care.


Self-funded care

You will be responsible for paying for your own care at home if you:

  • have assets and savings above the upper limits for care
  • are not eligible for local authority funding because your needs are not found to be sufficient following an eligibility assessment

However even people who are self-funding their own care may still be eligible to access services such as occupational therapy and physiotherapy. If you are a self-funding service user of Spring Care we will assist you to access this support.

NHS funded care

NHS Continuing Healthcare provides funding for people who need care on an ongoing basis outside of hospital if they have complex medical care needs due to disability, accident or a major illness. This funding is not means tested so the amount of income or assets you have will be disregarded.


Funding Live In Care

Local Authority Funding for Live In Care services is rarely achievable, however you can top up your Direct Payments or Personal Budget to increase your current care support package to Live In Care.  Alternatively, if your primary need is a health need, all or part of your care fees could be paid through NHS Continuing Healthcare.